- Yet another long-lost Neil Young album is headed our way. Young revealed on his official website (NeilYoungArchives.com), “Johnny’s Island (from 1982) is a complete album now being prepared for release at NYA, includes a majority of unreleased tracks including 'Big Pearl,' 'Island In The Sun,' and 'Love Hotel,' plus others you may have heard before, It’s a beautiful record coming to you soon.” No street date for the archival set was announced.
- Wolfgang Van Halen and his band MAMMOTH WVH will make their live debut on February 11th on ABC's Jimmy Kimmel Live! Wolfgang posted a message on social media, which read: “See you soon!! 2/11/21 – @JimmyKimmelLive #Distance – Late night television debut – Check local listings.”
- The group's touring lineup will features Wolfgang on guitar and vocals, guitarist Frank Sidoris, drummer Garrett Whitlock, and bassist Ronnie Ficarro on bass.
- Original Animals guitarist Hilton Valentine died on January 29th at age 77. Valentine, who played the iconic guitar arpeggio on the band's signature tune “The House Of The Rising Sun,” was with the band through 1966 and performed on such timeless British Invasion hits as “Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood,” “We Gotta Get Out Of This Place,” “It’s My Life” and “Don’t Bring Me Down,” among others. He reunited with the band in 1977 and 1983, and along with the Animals was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1994. Valentine toured with Animals frontman Eric Burdon in 2007 and 2008.
- The latest Beatles streaming playlists have been released. The new children's-based The Beatles For Kids – Colours features the band's “For You Blue,” “Yes It Is,” “Yellow Submarine,” “Baby’s In Black,” “Old Brown Shoe,” and “Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds.”
- The New Year's Workout playlist spotlights such “Fab Four” favorites as “Get Back,” “You Can’t Do That,” “I Saw Her Standing There,” “Eight Days A Week,” “Slow Down,” and “Got To Get You Into My Life.”
- Coming Friday, February 12th, will be the first wave in the Jacksons' “definitive album project” reissue series. The first three titles of the group's post-Motown career included expanded digital releases of The Jacksons (1976), Goin' Places (1977), and Destiny (1978). Each album includes the original album in its entirety, bundled with additional bonus tracks. A two-album vinyl edition of 1981's The Jacksons Live! will be released on March 26th.
Quick Takes: Neil Young, Wolfgang Van Halen, The Animals’ Hilton Valentine, The Beatles, The Jacksons
By Music News Jan 31, 2021 7:00 PM