- Sammy Hagar & The Circle have just delivered yet another killer new track from self-isolation as part of their online “Lockdown Challenge.” Hagar, Michael Anthony, Jason Bonham, and Vic Johnson have teamed up via the Internet to deliver an abbreviated — but no less scorching — cover of the Who's 1971 classic, “Won't Get Fooled Again.” The new video comes on the heels of the band's last virtual recording of the band's original track, “Funky Feng Shui.”
- Neil Young has treated fans to a free full-length concert on his website, NeilYoungArchive.com. The show was captured on February 16th, 1991 at Buffalo, New York's Memorial Auditorium. Young, who due to the pandemic wasn't able to access the best copy of the show from his archives, posted: “We normally would have fixed some things, and we will get to it. We are sharing this with all of you now just as it is — 'in all its ragged glory.' We want you to see this with us.”
- James Taylor has signed on as “the mega mentor” for Season 18 of NBC's The Voice. Billboard reported, “Taylor will join the coaches to mentor the artists remaining from the Battle Rounds, and prepare each team for the Knockout Rounds, which will begin on Monday (April 13) at 8 p.m. EST/PST.” (Billboard)
- Black Sabbath guitarist Tony Iommi is auctioning six items from his personal collection to help support medical relief efforts in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. All items will be autographed, and the winner will get free shipping to any location on the globe. The items include a guitar and various Sabbath collections on CD, vinyl and DVD. All proceeds will go straight to Birmingham, England's hospitals. (Blabbermouth)
- Sheryl Crow has released a cover of Bill Withers' 1972 track, “Lonely Town, Lonely Street.” Withers died of heart complications on March 30th in Los Angeles at the age of 81. Crow said in a press release announcing her tribute, “Times like these remind us about what’s really important in life — love, family, living life in harmony with each other and our planet. Bill’s music was about that, and so much more. In loving memory, I am releasing one of my favorite Bill Withers songs that I recorded with Citizen Cope and (producer) Steve Jordan a while back, 'Lonely Town, Lonely Street.'” (Pitchfork.com)
- Billie Joe Armstrong's latest addition to his “No Fun Mondays” series is a cover of “Manic Monday” featuring him and the Bangles' Susanna Hoffs performing in their homes.
Quick Takes: Sammy Hagar & The Circle, Neil Young, James Taylor, Tony Iommi, Sheryl Crow, Billie Joe Armstrong & Susanna Hoffs
By Music News Apr 6, 2020 8:00 PM